St John's Heritage
In the early years of Lutherville, people of all denominations worshiped in a small frame building in the heart of the village where Saint Paul's Lutheran church now stands. They called it their "church" the United Christian Association. As it grew, the Association decided to hold separate Methodist and Lutheran services on alternating Sundays with each group's minister officiating. This arrangement soon proved very unsatisfactory and in January 1869, Lutherville's Methodists resolved "...that by God's help we proceed to erect a church and organize a Methodist society." In March of that same year and by May a foundation had been laid. Two months later Thomas Todd completed the two story wood framed structure, and the first St. John's was dedicated on September 12, 1869.
Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church, first pastor was Reverend Thomas R. Slicer, appointed by Baltimore Conference. St. John's and Timonium Churches were on their own circuit, served by the same minister. Not until 1995 did they become separate. The original St. John's stood for over 40 years until a growing congregation demanded a new, larger building.
The present sanctuary occupies the site of the original church. It was completed in 1912 and dedicated on October 12 of that same year. Our education building, including fellowship hall was added in 1958 and the sanctuary dramatically renovated in 1967.
Today, St. John's is still very much a part of the community of Lutherville, responding to more than its spiritual needs. Our roots of membership are deep and steadfast. Most importantly, through Outreach Programs, new attitudes such as Contemporary Worship and popular Day Care Center, St. John's spiritual arms extend beyoud local boundaries and ope wide to share the message of God's love.